Sunday 14 April 2013

A Brief History Of Postmodern Cinema Development

I wanted to embody the theme of the films in my publication, incorporating quite a fragmented structure. I tried deliberately to avoid much of a structural layout and so boycotted the use of grids and experimented with a random structure when developing.




After coming up with some initial ideas I experimented with a selection of them, putting them into practice on Indesign. The first I tried was an idea in which I wanted one image to feature heavily, perhaps breaking it apart into sections.





I varied the layout on each of the pages in order to avoid sticking to some sort of system. However, by using only one image per page, no matter how much it is broken up, a lot of the responsibility falls on the text to make the layout appear postmodern.

Before filling the text I tried to break up the page more, using sections of orange, grey and black (colours used frequently in Tarantino films, namely Pulp Fiction). Similarly I took this into account when choosing the typeface for the directors names, I chose Headline One which in my opinion is equally as demanding as it is simple and it's not too overwhelming, although this may be something I will change as the aim is for it to be quite overwhelming.



When I put in the text, I found that  it still wasn't enough to make it as overtly postmodern as the films I am discussing are. In spite of this the colour scheme worked really well so I decided to experiment further with the layout and keep reworking it.

For a second version I incorporated a film reel in which I could place images of some key moments in the film, and this would fill up a lot of the page with images.





When this layout varies it keeps the book interesting while keeping in touch with the theme of the films and the aim for the publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment