Monday 29 December 2014

COP3 Practical Take 2

I knew that this second design needed to be from a completely new angle. I was still interested in creating a series of posters as a campaign for PETA vegetarianism, but instead of exhibiting a gender neutral stance on it, I wanted to incorporate the same method they use of sexualising food, without being able to cause offence in the imagery or text.

A campaign that immediately sprung to mind was the Marks & Spencer food television ads that started in 2006:







While these examples don't overtly comment on anything of a sexual nature, but the combination of the soft music and the soothing female voice over is intended to hint at it. While the food is being presented as a sexy thing it cannot cause offence to anyone as it is up to the viewer to decide if it is sexual or not.

In order to tie the practical in with my essay, I wanted to acknowledge the stereotypes of men and women, referencing men's desire to be more manly than others, and women's to have the best figure.

I started a list of foods that I could include that would tie in with this concept:

- Steak (just a piece of raw meat)
- Bananas (considered a phallic symbol)
- Chicken (fillets - bra stuffing)
- Ribs (rack)
- Melons (resemblance to breasts)
- Plums

I started designing some simple layouts to follow for this selection, in A3 landscape as this format would aid an ads presentation in context eg, bus, billboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment