Tuesday 2 December 2014

COP3 Practical Ideas

I initially wanted to identify some subjects and routes I could go down that were relevant and applicable to my essay and found that there were three aspects to gender stereotyping that I potentially wanted to use:


  • Housewives - I am keen to identify the tendency that ads have to stereotype women as the homemakers, targeting them for advertising products such as washing up liquid, laundry detergent, vacuuming and so on. There have been a couple of cases in which a man has been featured but this was seen as odd to an audience. While the man is doing the laundry it's still a female voiceover, which makes the chore appear more as a woman's task.











  • Perfumes - In my essay and research I have frequently looked at the stereotypes of men and women that seem to accompany the advertising of fragrances. No other product seems to explicitly exhibit men and women in compromising positions in order to sell something, and so I could potentially create or rebrand a perfume brand using only illustrative  imagery over photographs.










  • Food - The least necessary incorporation of gender stereotypes in advertising. Food is and should always be neutral, not one chocolate bar for a man and one for a woman. In some cases it can be harmless, in others, unnecessarily offensive, when a piece of food can be pinned to one gender.












No comments:

Post a Comment